Dallas injury attorney Michael Guajardo explains the personal injury case timeline and what you should expect when filing a personal injury case. While each case is different, the majority of personal injury cases follow a similar timeline that includes discover, depositions, case evaluation, mediation and more.
The first step in the personal injury case timeline begins with the case evaluation. This starts when a potential clients contacts us to discuss their situation. As always, this case evaluation is free of charge and there is no obligation to move forward. During this time, look at the information provided by the victim and if it is something we can help them with, we will enter into a contract with them. If it’s not something we can help them with as firm, we will often find another firm that handles that type of case or advise them as to other possible resources.
The discovery phase is one of the most important phases of a case. This is when we gather all relevant information about the situation and begin putting together our case. This often involves a lot of exchanging of written information between several parties and can often last 30 to 60 days.
Following the initial discovery is the depositions phase. In many ways, this is another type of discovery but involves face-to-face, videotaped interviews of all parties involved. Because of the number of people that need to be recorded to move forward, this period can take several months.
Mediation and More
Once the discovery and deposition steps of the personal injury timeline are completed, both sides will often take some time to re-evaluate their cases. At this point, they have all of the information needed for them to make an informed decision on the case and what they should expect. It is at this point that the case often goes to mediation. During mediation, the two sides meet with a third-party mediator who tries to help the sides come to an agreement and avoid a costly and time-consuming trial. More often than not, cases will settle during this phase.
How We Can Help
Our Dallas personal injury attorneys have decades of experience handling personal injury cases in the DFW area and nationwide. We have the experience, resources and creativity to build a case from the ground up, through the personal injury case timeline and are willing to take your case to trial if we agree it’s your best chance at justice. If you feel that you may have a case, contact us today. As you can see, the timeline can take months, so the sooner you call, the sooner we can start you on the road to recovery.
Dallas injury attorney Michael Guajardo explains the personal injury claim process and what you should expect if you are seeking representation for a car accident, truck wreck, wrongful death or any other personal injury case.
The initial stage of the claim process is what we refer to as the intake. During this time, we would seek to gather as much background on you as we can. This would include any medical history, what happened to you and any other information that could possibly be relevant to your insurance claim.
The next phase we would seek additional info on the other driver or offending party including their background, any criminal records and other relevant information. During this time, we would also request your medical records and other elements such as lost wages or incidental damages. Basically, during this phase, we are building your claim so that when you are released from your physician’s care, we will be prepared to present a claim to the insurance company.
Release from Physicians
Once you are released from your physicians care, we will begin the process of assimilating all of the information and estimate the value of what your claim should be. We would present all of this information to the insurance company for a demand for payment. If the case can be resolved at this point, then it is always to your advantage. This is the shortest way to resolve the personal injury claim process and will ultimately be cheaper, but only if the insurance company accepts the demand. If they reject it, then we will move forward and file a lawsuit on your behalf.
Our Dallas injury attorneys have decades of experience navigating the personal injury claim process. We will creatively and expertly seek the best compensation from the insurance company possible and are not afraid to take them to court if they don’t accept what we find to be fair.
Additional Video Resources
- 18-Wheeler Truck Wrecks Are Different Than Car Accidents
- Common Truck Wreck Causes Part One: Driver Fatigue
- Common Truck Wreck Causes Part Two: Equipment Failure
- Common Truck Wreck Causes Part Three: Inexperienced Truck Drivers
- What You Should Do After a Car Accident
- Personal Injury Case Timeline
- Personal Injury Claim Process
- Construction Site Safety: Loss of Limb
- Understanding Texas Wrongful Death Statutes
- Why Rollover Accidents Cause Serious Injuries
- Causes of Nail Gun Injuries
- Are Pickup Trucks Dangerous?
- Brain Injury Caused by a Defective Seatbelt
- Do I Need a Dallas Injury Attorney?
- The Importance of Hiring a Trial Lawyer
- Getting Help After A Car Wreck
- Best Time to Contact a Car Accident Lawyer
- Can Social Media Hurt My Case?
- Dallas Injury Attorneys Will Come to You!
- Truck Wrecks Caused by Driver Fatigue
- Personal Injury Cases Lead to Change
- Technology Used in Personal Injury Cases
- Tips For Hiring A Personal Injury Lawyer
- Different Types of Vehicle Defects
- Vehicle Defect Case Study: Ford Pinto
- Tread Separation Is The Most Dangerous Tire Failure
- Can Goverment Standards Prevent Rollover Accidents?
- Get Personal Injury Answers On Our Website
- Who Is Responsible In Construction Accidents?
- Contingency Fee Basis: You Owe Nothing Unless We Win