The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that in 2015, 35,092 people lost their lives in motor vehicle accidents, a 7.2 increase from the year before, or the largest increase in more than 50 years. The number of injured also increased from 2.34 million in 2014 to 2.44 million, and the NHTSA counted 6.3 million police-reported crashes.
Texas Crash Statistics
Texas was a microcosm of the national statistics. Overall, in 2016 there were 3,773 motor-vehicle accident fatalities in Texas, a 5.45 percent increase from 2015. The total economic costs were estimated at $38.6 billion. In the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan areas, the Texas Department of Transportation(TXDOT) breaks down accidents by county, including:
- Dallas: 55, 797 crashes, 288 fatal crashes, 315 fatalities
- Collin: 13,764 crashes, 42 fatal crashes, 50 fatalities
- Denton: 12,127 crashes, 42 fatal crashes, 49 fatalities
- Kaufman: 1,195 crashes, 21 fatal crashes, 28 fatalities
- Rockwell: 1,385 crashes, 10 fatal crashes, 12 fatalities
- Parker: 2,174 crashes, 19 fatal crashes, 21 fatalities
- Wise: 978 crashes, 17 fatal crashes, 19 fatalities
- Tarrant: 34, 732 crashes, 158 fatal crashes, 166 fatalities
- Total: 122,152 crashes, 597 fatal crashes, 660 fatalities
What it Means
It’s no secret, but driving in some areas is more dangerous than in others. A variety of factors come into play when analyzing some of the most dangerous areas to drive in, not the least of which is how heavily an area is travelled, density, population and road conditions, among others. Knowing which areas are the most dangerous is often helpful to make drivers aware of when to pay closer attention, or what to avoid.
What to do
If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident, contact Guajardo & Marks, LLP. Operating out of offices in Dallas, Texas, Guajardo & Marks have over two decades of experience in a variety of legal areas, especially with personal injury. Guajardo & Marks have both the knowledge and the experience to represent you and get the compensation you deserve. Contact us online or call us at 972.774.9800 to set up a free consultation to evaluate the merits of your claim and decide on your best course of action. If your best option is to file suit, we charge no out-of-pocket expenses until and unless your claim is settled or won.
Most Dangerous Roads
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCG) has compiled a list of the 10 most dangerous roads in 2015:
- LBJ Freeway from I-35E to Dallas North Tollway (Dallas County) – Average daily Vehicle Miles Traveled (VMT): 1,002,630; Total crashes: 530; Crash rate: 143.19
- I-35E from Garden Ridge Boulevard and State Highway 121 (Denton County) – Average daily VMT: 994,632; Total crashes: 530; Crash rate: 145.99
- Central Expressway from LBJ Freeway to I-30 (Dallas County) – Average daily VMT: 2,227,731; Total crashes: 1,230; Crash rate: 151.27
- East Loop 820 from I-30 to I-20 (Tarrant County) – Average daily VMT: 527,497; Total crashes: 295; Crash rate: 153.22
- I-45 from I-30 to Lamar (Dallas County) – Average daily VMT: 198,030.45; Total crashes: 117; Crash rate: 161.87
- LBJ Freeway from Dallas North Tollway to Central Expressway (Dallas County) – Average daily VMT: 782,686; Total crashes: 479; Crash rate: 167.67
- I-35W from Loop 820 to I-30 (Tarrant County) – Average daily VMT: 706,900; Total crashes: 491; Crash rate: 190.30
- State Highway 360 from I-30 to I-20 (Tarrant County) – Average daily VMT: 758,327; Total crashes: 533; Crash rate: 192.57
- I-30 from I-35W west to Loop 820 (Tarrant County) – Average daily VMT: 533,127; Total crashes: 411; Crash rate: 203.57
- Woodall Rodgers Freeway from Stemmons to Central Expressway (Dallas County) – Average daily VMT: 173,422; Total crashes: 161; Crash rate: 254.35
Types of Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Rear-end collisions — A vehicle (usually an automobile or a truck) crashes into the vehicle in front of it.
- Broadside or T-bone collision — Where the side of one vehicle is impacted by the front or rear of another vehicle, forming a “T.”
- Sideswipe collisions — The side of one or more vehicles is impacted. These crashes often occur at intersections, in parking lots, and when two vehicles pass on a multi-lane roadway.
- Vehicle Rollover — A vehicle tips over onto its side or roof. Rollovers have a higher fatality rate than other types of vehicle collisions.
- Head-on collisions — The front ends of two vehicles, such as cars, trains, ships or planes, hit each other from opposite directions, as opposed to a side collision or rear-end collision.
- Single vehicle collision — Only one vehicle is involved.
- Multi-vehicle pile-up — A road traffic accident involving many vehicles.
Most Common Vehicle-Accident Injuries
Because most accidents are somewhat similar in their physical characteristics, it stands to reason that many of the injuries are similar, as well. EmaxHealth, an independent Health News organization, has listed a few:
- Soft tissue injuries — The damage of muscles, ligaments and tendons throughout the body.
- Scrapes, cuts and bruises — Wounds in which layers of skin are scraped or torn. The most common sites forscrapes are the hands, elbows, and knees.
- Head wounds — Any sort of injury to your brain, skull, or scalp. This can range from a mild bump or bruise to a traumatic brain injury.
- Neck and back injuries — Trauma to the neck and back can lead to spinal cord injury and permanent disability.
- Chest injuries — Any form of physical injury to the chest, including the ribs, heart and lungs. Chest injuries account for 25% of all deaths from traumatic injury. Typically chest injuries are caused by blunt mechanisms such as motor vehicle collisions in which the torso impacts the steering wheel.
- Limb damage – Limb damage is any injury to the arms and legs from sprains to broken bones to nerve damage and paralysis.
Guajardo & Marks, LLP of Dallas have been litigating within the legal system for more than two decades. We look forward to sharing our experience and resources and are proud to help fellow Texans with legal problems. For questions or to set up a consultation contact us online or by phone at 972.774.9800.