In the wake of a major accident, a victim can face injuries that require extensive medical care, cause intense physical pain and leave that victim wondering what can be done to regain some semblance of normality.
At Guajardo & Marks, we have represented many clients in Dallas struggling with different types of injuries, and we have seen the extent to which they can affect a person’s quality of life.
Each type of injury comes with its own set of challenges. Pain, loss of work capability, incapacitation and even death are all possible consequences of a major injury. If your injury was caused by someone else’s negligence, you can pursue legal action to receive compensation for your damages.
Catastrophic Injuries have a Lasting Impact
It is a sad fact that people are injured every day through no fault of their own. Many of these injuries may have a limited impact on the life of the individual, but there are some cases where the damage will have a significant, long-lasting effect on the life of the injured person and possibly their family. With a catastrophic injury, the individual is dealing with injuries that will inflict hardships that go far beyond that of the standard personal injury case.
Read About the Lasting Impacts
How a Serious Injury Lawyer Can Help…
Personal injury is a broad area of practice. Each type of personal injury case is typically best served by an attorney who specializes in that particular type of case. For example, if you are pursuing legal action because of a spinal cord injury, it is ideal to have an attorney who has direct experience in spinal cord injury cases. It is also a good idea to have an attorney with experience in your specific region.
While our firm has handled a number of different types of personal injury cases over the years, we are especially dedicated to those who have suffered a catastrophic injury due to a serious accident or other personal injury.
We have seen firsthand the devastating, life-altering effects a catastrophic injury can have on a victim and their family. Whether it’s a truck wreck, construction accident or defective product, our law firm understands the challenges you face and are prepared to help you every step of the way.
If you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic personal injury, we urge you to contact us today for your free consultation or read on to learn more about catastrophic injuries and how we can help.
Types of Catastrophic Injuries
Our Dallas personal injury attorneys have represented many clients with many different needs, and we know how to build a case that is specific to their unique set of circumstances. To learn more about our injury practice areas, see one of the categories below.
- Catastrophic Injuries/Death – Catastrophic injury attorneys represent clients with spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries. These injuries can be the result of vehicle accidents, serious falls and being struck by or against an object.
- Spinal Cord Injuries (SCI) – A major injury to the spinal cord can lead to loss of feeling, severe pain, respiratory problems, weakness and loss of motor function. Cervical spinal injuries, lumbar spinal injuries and thoracic spinal injuries are all forms of severe SCI.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) – TBI’s are a leading cause of death and disability in people 45 years of age and younger. Our Dallas traumatic brain injury attorneys have helped victims and their families to seek compensation for damages.
- Loss of Limbs/Amputations – While many amputations are from diabetes or cancer, others can be the result of negligence, whether in vehicle accidents or workplace accidents.
- Paralysis – Spinal cord injuries are often the cause of paralysis. In some cases, injuries lead to paraplegia or quadriplegia (also known as tetraplegia), but paralysis injury attorneys may also represent people who experience other losses of sensory or motor function.
- Severe Burns – Because of the costs and damages, burn injuries are some of the most serious types of injuries a person can face. Fire, scalding and exposure to electricity and chemicals are common causes of serious burns.
- Catastrophic Injury Support Groups – Dallas injury victims have many places to turn for support. See our list of injury support groups to learn more.
- Organ Damage – Any injury to the internal organs can be catastrophic due to the critical functions these body parts perform.
- Bone Fractures and Breaks – Bone fractures are some of the most frequent injuries that happen in various types of accidents.
Causes of Serious Injuries in Dallas, TX
Because the term catastrophic injury covers such a wide range, there are many different causes. Accidents that cause these injuries can happen anywhere – the workplace, public spaces, another’s property, roadways and hospitals. They can also happen to anyone. When they do, few are prepared for the devastating consequences.
At Guajardo & Marks, our attorneys have successfully represented severe injury victims of:
As you can see, we have handled a number of different cases that have caused these types of serious injuries. The main thing to remember is that if you didn’t cause the injury, you should seriously consider speaking to an attorney. These injuries are life-changing and you shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s mistake or negligence.
The sad reality is that the vast majority of major injuries are preventable, occurring only because of the negligence or careless actions of the responsible party. At Guajardo & Marks, we believe that when negligence causes another person’s suffering, the responsible party should be held accountable for their actions.
Catastrophic Injuries & Permanent Disabilities
Effects of Serious Personal Injury
As I’ve said, the effects of these injuries in wide-ranging. They often result in overwhelming medical costs, cause loss-of-earning and can affect your ability to make a living in the future. They also can require extensive rehab or long-term care and modifications to your home and/or lifestyle.
What Kinds of Support May be Available?
In addition to the physical and emotional challenges these injuries create, the financial implications are enormous. If the injuries are not your fault, why should you be forced to take on this financial burden? This is where a catastrophic injury lawsuit comes in.
Because these cases are so complex and wide-ranging, judges have many different factors to take into account when awarding damages in catastrophic cases. Some types of compensation we may be able to secure for you include:
- Home and vehicle modifications
- Loss of future earnings
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Vocational training
The types of compensation you are ultimately entitled to depends on many different factors including the severity of your injury, your current and future occupational situation and whether or not you have a family to take care of. These are all things one of our Dallas catastrophic injury lawyers will take into account when determining the compensation you should receive.
How our Dallas Injury Lawyers Can Help
As you can imagine, these types of cases are considerably more complicated than your normal personal injury case. Luckily, Michael and Greg have decades of experience dedicated to helping catastrophic injury victims. They have the experience and resources required to fight for the best compensation possible and the track record that proves this dedication.
The statute of limitations in Texas is two years for personal injury cases, though it’s important to take action as soon as possible, since cases are often won or lost based on the actions taken shortly after an injury occurs. Contact our personal injury attorneys today for a free consultation.
Our firm will investigate every possible avenue there is to ensure you and your family are taken care of. Guajardo & Marks isn’t a volume firm and our aim isn’t to settle as many cases as we can as fast possible. We only take the most severe cases and we go into each one prepared to do whatever it takes to ensure our client gets the best possible outcome, even if that means taking it to trial.
If your or a loved one has suffered a severe injury, call 972-774-9800 or contact us online today and experience the personal, aggressive service Michael and Greg have become known for.