Get Help from Our Dallas Burn Injury Lawyer Today
Our Dallas burn injury lawyer is here to help you or your loved one if you’ve suffered from serious burns. Burn injuries can occur in several ways. They can stem from home fires, exploding consumer electronics or exposure to hot water from a faulty water heater. Vehicle collisions can cause an explosion or fire, especially in a rear-end crash. The risk of fire or explosion always rises if either vehicle’s gas tank is damaged in a crash. Trucks hauling dangerous chemicals or explosives can cause devastating burn injuries in a collision with another vehicle.
Victims of severe burn injuries generally must confront expensive, long-term medical care and extended time off work, as well as the physical and emotional effects of permanent scarring, disfigurement or even disability.
The Dallas burn injury attorneys at Guajardo & Marks understand the costs associated with burn injuries, from emergency treatment to physical therapy to scar revision surgery to counseling. If you or a family member suffered a severe burn injury due to the negligence of another, our attorneys may be able to help you pursue the financial security you need and the justice to which you’re entitled.
Types of Burn Injuries
There are three primary categories of burn injuries:
- Thermal burns, which are caused by the transfer of heat from a single source to the body. They can come from explosions, hot liquids, flame and contact with heated materials such as metal or glass.
- Chemical burns, which may be caused by direct contact with hazardous materials or through the inhalation of toxic fumes. They are caused by substances that are strongly acidic or alkaline.
- Electrical burns, which are caused by heat generated when an electrical current passes through the body. These types of burns must be evaluated by a doctor, because even if the skin looks relatively normal, there could be severe damage below.
Classification of Burn Injuries
How the burn will be treated, the level of pain and suffering involved and whether there will be scarring depends upon the seriousness of the burn.The four stages of burns are:
- First degree: Only the epidermis or outer layer is affected. Skin is painful, dry and red, and can heal in three to five days.
- Second degree: Involves the epidermis and most of the dermis. Can be white, pink or red in color. Can be dry or wet and could have blisters. It may blanch when you put pressure on it, and it is painful. It will take several weeks to heal.
- Third degree: All skin layers are damaged, as are some subcutaneous tissues. Skin will be black or white, dry and leathery. There is no pain because nerves have been destroyed. Takes months or longer to heal and permanent scarring occurs.
- Fourth degree: Has all characteristics of a third-degree burn but worse. Reaches subcutaneous tissue, including bones, nerves and muscle. These burns are often fatal.
Burn injury lawsuits often stem from incidents such as . .
- Car accidents
- 18-wheeler truck accidents
- Motor vehicle defects
- Construction site accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Rollover accidents
- Commercial vehicle accidents.
Effects of Burn Injuries
Severe burn injuries can dramatically impact victims’ general health, physical capabilities and appearance. Consequences of burn injuries include but are not limited to . . .
- Loss of skin sensation
- Tissue, muscle and organ damage
- Physical Impairment
Third and fourth-degree burns almost always require specialized treatment in a burn unit. Skin graft surgery is usually required. The prognosis for a serious burn victim depends upon how serious the burns are and the treatment provided. Your age and overall health before the injury also are important. Burn treatment can last months or longer and be very expensive. If the accident was caused by an entity or another person, you will want to consider legal action. Talk to a burn injury attorney at Guajardo & Marks to find out if you have a case.
Filing a Burn Injury Claim
For those who have suffered a burn injury due to someone else’s negligence, injury claims offer a tool to recover significant costs. A burn injury case can provide compensation for medical bills, lost income, ongoing care, pain, suffering and a number of other costs.
If you’re unsure whether your case might be due to another’s negligence, it’s worth taking the time to discuss your situation with an experienced attorney. Burn injury attorneys can investigate the causes of a client’s injury to determine the responsible party and the extent of the damages that might be recovered through a claim.
If you or a loved one sustained severe burn injuries because of an accident or a product defect, please contact Guajardo & Marks online or give us a call to arrange your free consultation with a burn lawyer. Our firm has decades of experience successfully representing clients who have suffered burn injuries, and we would be proud to represent you and your loved ones.
A Review From Our Client
“Awesome team!!! Very thorough and they treated my case as if it was there own.“