The attorneys at Guajardo & Marks have decades of legal experience representing clients who have suffered a similar devastating experience. Our Dallas hit and run accident lawyers know how to take insurance companies to task and demand financial compensation for our clients. We have a winning record in these kinds of cases. For a free initial consultation, call a Dallas hit and run lawyer today at (972) 774-9800.
A Dallas Hit and Run Accident Lawyer Seeks COMPENSATION AFTER A Crash
Fleeing the scene of an accident is illegal in Texas; serious criminal penalties await a hit and run driver, and once caught, they must also pay for the damage and injuries you suffered from their negligence.
Law enforcement will gather evidence of their crime, and this certainly helps with your civil damages claim or case. An experienced hit and run accident lawyer who finds even more evidence to support your claim is a valuable asset. Following are some of the costs that an attorney can recover for you:
- ALL your current and future medical bills. Hospital, doctor and rehabilitation costs can add up quickly. It is not unusual for these to run into thousands of dollars. You don’t want to get stuck with these bills, especially if they were caused by a hit and run driver.
- Lost income (past, present and future). Courts recognize that you could be off work for weeks, months or longer after a vehicle crash and your income will suffer. These costs can be recovered.
- Pain and suffering. Long after the accident is over, you could be in significant physical pain, you and your family could be experiencing heightened anxiety, and you may even be afraid to drive again. This kind of pain and suffering is very real and deserves financial compensation.
- Possible punitive damages. If the hit and run driver has a history of driving violations, was intoxicated, or committed particularly egregious behavior after the wreck, a judge can impose additional punitive damages.
- And more, in certain cases.
If you’ve been injured by a negligent driver who fled the scene, you have the legal right to sue for damages and receive financial compensation. So learn more about the damages that you may be entitled to, call a Dallas hit and run accident lawyer at (972) 774-9800 today.
HOW MUCH DOES A HIT AND RUN ACCIDENT ATTORNEY COST?
The hit and run accident attorneys at Guajardo & Marks work on contingency, which means that you don’t need any money up front to file a claim. Our fees are paid by the defendant as part of a settlement agreement or jury award. If for some reason your case is not successful, then you owe us nothing. So, there is no financial risk to you in filing a lawsuit.
WHAT HAPPENS IF THE DRIVER WHO HIT YOU (AND RAN) IS UNINSURED OR UNDERINSURED?
It’s possible they left the scene because they have no insurance, a violation of Texas law. If this happens, recovering money from the hit and run driver is indeed a challenge. If you cannot find them (or it takes a while), or if it turns out that they have no insurance or assets to pay you, then your own insurer may be your only option.
You likely have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) on your Texas auto insurance policy unless you formally rejected it. UM/UIM was created for this kind of scenario. So, if you are involved in a hit and run accident, your own insurer is supposed to pay damages up to the UM/UIM limits of your policy.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU’RE IN A CAR ACCIDENT WITH A HIT AND RUN DRIVER
Your insurance claim against the negligent driver – when or if they are found – will be much easier for your lawyer to win if you follow the steps below. And if the driver is not found, the claim filed with your own insurance company should go much smoother if you keep these things in mind:
- Stay calm. If possible, take pictures with your phone, including the driver, vehicle and license plate number. Note the time of the accident, location, and damage to your vehicle.
- Get names, contact information, and other statements from any witnesses.
- Call the police. After their accident report has been filed (usually the next day), get a copy.
- Ask business owners for video footage. Ask the police if there are traffic cameras that might have recorded the accident.
- Seek medical treatment for your injuries.
- File a UM/UIM insurance claim. Or, if you were a passenger in the vehicle that was hit, file the claim and cite your policy’s Personal Injury Protection (PIP) rider. The driver of the vehicle you were in can file for you if you do not drive and have no insurance.
- Contact a seasoned Dallas hit and run accident lawyer with experience in representing hit and run victims.
If you are not seriously injured, many of the above tasks you can do yourself. If a family member has been badly injured in a hit and run, this task may fall to you as well. Accident lawyers’ investigators also uniformly perform a lot of these tasks for their injured clients. If you need help or have questions about your accident, call a Dallas hit and run accident lawyer today at (972) 774-9800.
IF YOU’RE A CYCLIST OR PEDESTRIAN, you may need a HIT AND RUN VICTIM lawyer
A growing number of hit and run accident victims are bicycle (and motorcycle) riders and pedestrians. Their injuries are typically far more serious because they have much less protection than vehicle drivers and passengers. Plus, motorists don’t always drive with the safety of cyclists in mind, nor are they always looking out for pedestrians. Many believe a lot of these mishaps are caused by driver inattention (distracted driving). Sometimes the driver may not even be aware they’ve hit someone.
The same principles for building a strong case apply after cyclist and pedestrian accidents. Take pictures, get witness statements, call the police ASAP, get as much information as possible, get medical attention quickly, and call your insurance company.
It’s also an excellent idea to find a seasoned hit and run victim attorney with experience in handling hit and run claims by pedestrians and cyclists. If you are so seriously injured that you cannot call our office, ask a family member to call on your behalf.
what is the process after I hire a hit and run victim attorney?
First, we’ll meet with you and listen to your side of the story. We’ll take lots of notes, answer your questions, and probably ask some questions of our own. We’ll also gather any information you may have, including photos, witnesses’ names and phone numbers, police reports, video and medical information and bills. Our hit and run victim attorneys are extremely thorough because we know that the strength of our case depends on our doing extensive research and building a strong argument.
After the claim is filed, our attorneys will keep you informed every step of the way. We’ll always take your phone calls, and we will explain your options to you as we get closer to a settlement agreement or jury trial. We will always be by your side fighting on your behalf.
OUR LAWYERS HELP HIT AND RUN VICTIMS GET THE MONEY THEY DESERVE
Negotiating with insurance companies after a hit and run can be difficult, stressful and complicated, especially because all your insurance company is hearing is half of the story. The perpetrator is absent. You should consult with an experienced Dallas hit and run accident attorney who can negotiate aggressively on your behalf. The insurance company has professionals representing its interests, and they question EVERY claim. You should have your own lawyer fighting for your rights.
To schedule a free consultation with Guajardo & Marks, contact us today by filling out our online form or give us a call at 972-774-9800.