[There is much worry in Fort Worth these days about the heavy construction on I-35 West slowing people down. But according to a new study, all the road work may be endangering drivers’ lives.
A legal group in Fort Worth conducts a study annually to pinpoint the most dangerous intersections in town. They pull accident data from the city and create a map that shows the 10 most hazardous intersections in Fort Worth. The study showed for 2017 that six of the 10 worst intersections were on I-35 West.
The most hazardous intersection was I-35W and Western Center Blvd, with 81 accidents in 2017.
All these intersections on I-35 West are seeing heavy construction, and this is leading to more accidents at several busy intersections. Experts say road construction causes confusion among motorists. It also leads to responsive rather than cautious driving, and this can lead to crashes with serious injuries.
In 2016, the most dangerous intersection in Fort Worth was at Weatherford and Henderson streets, with 51 total crashes reported. In 2017, that intersection experienced 38 crashes, but it was no long among the most dangerous intersections.
Intersection Accidents Are Common and Growing
Busy Fort Worth and Dallas are far from the only cities experiencing too many car accidents at busy intersections. Each year, the Federal Highway Administration estimates, there are 2.5 million auto accidents at intersections across America. Approximately 40% of all auto accidents in the U.S. involve intersections. This is the second largest cause of accidents, behind only rear-end accidents.
Most of the accidents involve left turns. Approximately 50% of serious accidents happen at intersections, and 20% of fatal accidents happen there.
Further, approximately 165,000 accidents happen each year at intersections because someone ran a red light. There are approximately 700 fatalities at intersections every year from red-light runners.
You cannot always avoid accidents at intersections, but below are some simple tips to reduce your chances:
- Always look for cross traffic when you enter an intersection. Even if you have the green light, sometimes people do not stop when their light turns red.
- When you are turning right on red, make sure the vehicle ahead of you clears. Rear end crashes in this situation are very common.
- Sideswipes are common at intersections, too. Never change lanes when driving through an intersection; another vehicle could be turning from a cross street into that lane.
- A malfunctioning or dead traffic light at an intersection is extremely dangerous. When you approach an intersection with a faulty traffic light, assume it is a four-way stop and proceed with extreme caution.
- Cars and trucks are not the only things to watch for in intersections. Pedestrians and cyclists may be using sidewalks and crosswalks. Look carefully for them before turning right on red.
If you are in a car accident at an intersection, wait for a police officer to come and make a report. He will most likely write in the police report who caused the accident. This will be very important if you suffered injuries in the accident and the other party was at fault. If you speak with a personal injury attorney about the accident, it will be important to have a copy of the accident report.
Were You Injured In a Car Accident? Talk to a Personal Injury Attorney Today.
There are many dangerous intersections in Dallas and Fort Worth. If you are injured in a car accident caused by another driver, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit to recover damages. The auto accident attorneys at Guajardo & Marks can review your case at no cost to determine whether there is a possibility of financial recovery. Please contact our Dallas office today for a free consultation.