Follow These Tips for Back to School Safety
- August 21, 2015
- Car Accidents
It’s back-to-school time (already!) and that brings travel dangers for our school children. The following are some tips we have put together to help reduce the risk of accidents and injuries. So, let’s shake off the summer vacation, get back into the swing of things and ensure our children are safe on the way to and from school.
Back to School Safety Tips for Drivers
Many of the injuries during this time are caused by inattentive drivers, especially in hot spots like parking lots and bus stops. Keep the following top of mind during your morning and afternoon commutes.
- Stay off your phone!
- Know your area and be extra careful while in and around school zones and bus stops.
- Yield to buses and watch for children loading and unloading.
- Plan for longer commutes. It’s extra difficult to be an attentive driver when you are in a rush.
- Speak with your teen drivers about back-to-school safety.
Back to School Safety Tips for Children
- Back-to-school safety is everyone’s responsibility and it’s important to discuss safety precautions with our children.
- Discuss pedestrian safety with your child, even if they don’t normally walk to school. Always use crosswalks, obey traffic signs, lights and crossing guards, and follow the left-right-left again rule.
- Wait for the bus in designated bus stops and avoid the road way.
- Never cross the street unless instructed to do so by the bus driver.
- Be wary of the danger zones, such as parking lots. Never run when cars or buses are around.
- Always buckle up and ride in the backseat.
While this time of year always sees a spike in injuries and car accidents, following these tips should go a long way in helping to keep our loved ones safe. Here’s to a happy and safe school year!