Preparing to Meet a Dallas Personal Injury Attorney
- September 18, 2014
- Personal Injury
Personal injury cases arise from a variety of situations. Some of these cases occur during everyday situations and others can be described as freak injuries. Regardless of the cause for a personal injury case, the attorney is going to need certain types of information and they will also need to meet with the client to assess the claim. Being prepared for the first meeting with a Dallas injury attorney and having as much relevant information as possible will better assist them in your representation.
In a personal injury claim, documentation goes a long way toward establishing certain facts of the case. It can shed light on the circumstances surrounding the incident, it can help with the valuation damages and it can help the attorney to establish certain paths that they will want to follow in the discovery process. Having this information available on the first meeting will help the injury lawyer to assess the case and it will give them a better ability to provide you with a clear outlook of what to expect. While you won’t need all of these to meet with an injury attorney, there are some forms of documentation that could be helpful.
- Records from the care providers that treated you for the injury
- Records of any previous medical history that may affect the case
- Doctors reports that include diagnosis and the possible need for future medical treatment
- Any bills that you have received from the hospital or any other care providers
- Police reports that may be connected to the incident
- Documentation of insurance information
- Information that can demonstrate that you missed work as the result of the injury
- Details about the way that the injury has affected your life
- Documentation of any contact or correspondence with you and an insurer
- Information about any claims that you may have filed in the past
- A timeline of the relevant events starting with the date of the injury
Questions you May Want to Ask
While providing information to the attorney is a good step toward helping them with the case, you may want to consider some of the information that you would like to know. Here are some questions that might help you in your first meeting with a personal injury lawyer.
- How much experience does the attorney have with cases that are similar to yours?
- Does the attorney see any possible problems with the case?
- How long does a case of this nature usually take to reach a conclusion?
- Will the attorney provide regular contact to report on the case as it develops?
- What type of fee arrangement does the attorney work under?
- Will you be personally handling my case?
- If a different attorney will be handling the case, ask to meet with them
Preparing for your first meeting with a Dallas personal injury attorney will help to ensure that the legal team can start working on your claim right away. Rather than having to search out this information on their own – and adding to the expenses of the case in the process – the attorney will already have the basic foundation that will help them to move the case along quickly.