Electrical Burns and Their Impact on Construction Workers
- May 8, 2013
- Construction Site Accidents
Our Dallas construction site accident lawyers have seen many terrible injuries caused by unsafe working conditions on construction sites. One of the more serious and damaging injuries that construction workers suffer from is electrical- or shock-related injuries.
Types of Electrical Injuries
Burns, injuries caused by involuntary muscle contraction and internal injuries, are commonly seen after an accident involving electricity. The most common types of injuries caused by an electrical accident include:
- Electrical burns: These burns can damage tissue and are caused by the flow of electricity through the body. Electrical burns are considered serious and can cause death.
- Flash burns: A flash burn is caused by the high temperatures of an electric arc. These injuries are common among electricians.
- Thermal contact burns: When the skin touches a very hot item, such as overheated electrical equipment, a contact burn may occur.
- Internal injuries: Electricity traveling through the body has the potential to damage internal organs. Medical problems associated with this injury include: hemorrhage, tissue destruction, muscle damage and nerve damage.
- Involuntary muscle contraction: When electricity enters the body, it can stimulate the muscles, forcing them to contract violently. This sudden and strong muscle contraction has the potential to damage bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
What to Do if You Have Been Hurt during a Construction Accident in Dallas
Your injuries may not only affect your short-term health, but have the potential to forever alter your life. Some injuries, such as the electrical injuries discussed above, can affect your ability to work. Having worked in construction for some time, you may not have the skills or physical ability to get a new job. What do you do? Lose your house, your car, everything you have worked for?
If you have been injured on the job and you believe that an unsafe working environment caused the accident, it is your right to ensure that you are compensated for your losses. To get the help you need, please call an experienced Dallas construction accident lawyer at 877.290.1382 to schedule your appointment. Do not let your employer bully you into a too-low settlement. Know your rights; call today.