Dallas Law Firm Blog

Compensation After a Work-Related Car Wreck

Compensation After a Work-Related Car WreckMaximizing Your Compensation After a Work-Related Car Wreck

Regardless of whether you work in construction, delivery or any other industry; if you have been injured in a Dallas area traffic accident while traveling for work, it is critical that you consult with an experienced Dallas personal injury lawyer to determine the full amount of compensation available to you.

Depending on the circumstances of your car crash, it may be that you are able to receive some monetary damages from your employer’s workers comp policy. In most cases, however, this compensation is negligible compared to the injuries sustained in a serious multi-vehicle collision. This is why it is a good idea to consult with an experienced car and truck accident attorney who not only knows how to identify liable insurance policies, but how to make sure those insurance companies pay injury victims such as yourself the full and fair compensation you deserve under Texas law.

Suing the At-Fault Driver

Assuming that your auto accident was caused by the negligence of another motorist, then you are able to make a personal injury claim against their auto liability insurance. Texas law requires all drivers to carry a minimum of $30,000 in liability insurance which can be used to pay your crash-related medical bills, reimburse you for any lost wages, and also compensate you for any pain, suffering, or any other effect your injuries have had on your life. If the at-fault driver was driving a truck or other work vehicle at the time of the collision, then there is likely substantially more insurance available for you to make a claim against. In the case of semi-trucks as an example, Federal law demands a minimum of $750,000 in liability insurance. Talk to a lawyer in order to find out exactly how much insurance is available in your particular case.

Claiming Against Your Employer’s Auto Insurance

Quite often, Texas employers will have additional “add-on” insurance on the policies for their vans, trucks and other vehicles. This is known as Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist Coverage. If you have been injured and the at-fault driver did not have sufficient insurance to cover your full range of medical expenses – or indeed, if they were illegally driving without any insurance whatsoever – then you can make a claim against your employer’s UM or UIM coverage. It is important to note that you may have to hire a Dallas car accident attorney to pursue your case before your employer will disclose the full amount of insurance available for injured employees to claim against.


To discuss the specific details of your unique case and to start pursuing a claim to recover the maximum compensation available to you, please contact the experienced Dallas personal injury and wrongful death lawyers at Guajardo & Marks. Call our Dallas office at 972-774-9800.